Cross-file under “uses of natural materials” and ”Easter-related things”:
To dye eggs using natural materials, consider using these food items:
- purple cabbage — turns white eggs blue; brown eggs = green
- red onion skin — makes a lavender or red coloring
- beets — turn white eggs pink; brown eggs = maroon
- yellow onion skin — turns white eggs orange; brown eggs = rusty red
- ground turmeric — gives a yellow coloring
- Celestial Seasonings’ Red Zinger herbal tea — provides a lavender color
Other tea varieties, coffee, blackberries, and grape juice are among other items that will stain eggshells.
For additional information, including how-to / DIY details, see Vibrant Eggs, Dyed Naturally | The Kitchn.